Virtual Writing Circle
What is Virtual Writing Circle?
Virtual Writing Circle is an intimate online gathering of writerly souls (no more than six in addition to Johnnie) who wish to make writing a priority in their lives.
- They want a practice that allows and encourages them to view their regular writing practice as a facet of their self-care.
- They may consider themselves writers or they may not… but they have meaningful stories and brilliant ideas they know the world needs to hear.
- They may have works in-progress or they may not… but they want the balance of comaraderie with other writerly souls who understand and honor their impulse to put words on the page along with thoughtful feedback and mindful critique.
How does it work?
Virtual Writing Circle meets twice each month.
The first meeting of the month is devoted to virtual writing. We meet online and write together for two hours. No talking. Just writing.
The writing accomplished during our virtual writing time (or in the week that follows) will be posted in a mutually accessible location online along with your clearly stated request for the kind of feedback you would like. (Johnnie will help you with this.)
The second meeting of the month is devoted to thoughtful feedback and mindful critique as specifically requested by each writer. Everyone is expected to post and offer feedback… part of being a writer is getting and giving feedback on the work. This feedback will be structured and have clear ground rules with Johnnie facilitating.
Virtual Writing Circle is intended to be a SAFE SPACE for everyone – no free-for-alls! You decide what kind of feedback you want. (Johnnie can help you determine this if you aren’t sure.)
When does it meet?
One circle is now available for an inaugural three-month period.
The second and fourth Monday of the month – 6:00am – 8:00am
September 9 and 23
October 14 and 28
November 11 and December 2
(we’ll skip the week of Thanksgiving)
What does it cost?
Special pricing available for this inaugural three-month offer
$60 – Early bird price – thru 8/16
$75 – Regular price – after 8/16
REGISTRATION ENDS AUGUST 31
- I don’t consider myself a writer just yet. Will I fit in? Yes! Virtual Writing Circle is for both beginning and seasoned writers and everyone in between. The goal of the circle is to create an intimate environment to which we can bring our earnest intent to write and get words on the page. Perfection is not required or expected. Students learn from teachers and teachers learn from students. It’s a beautiful synchronistic relationship… and everyone has something to offer. Virtual Writing Circle is an ego-free zone.
- I’ve been writing for years. How do I know I’ll receive feedback that will help me? We can never know that, regardless of who is giving the feedback. I encourage you to come with an open mind and heart and view the experience as a way to connect with other writers and with those who want to write. Sometimes even the “best” feedback does not land on us in a way that feels helpful. In other words, our experience in “receiving” can be very subjective. And as we say just above, Virtual Writing Circle is an ego-free zone.
- Is this service free to Johnnie’s private clients? Virtual Writing Circle is not free. The nominal fee helps cover the cost of maintaining the virtual chat room and Johnnie’s time to facilitate the feedback/critique sessions. It’s a steal, so we hope you can join us.
- What if I miss a meeting? Can I make it up? We wish there were a way to turn back time and give you the missed hours and minutes, but unfortunately, there will be no way to make up missed meetings.
- What if I want more than two meetings per month? Stay tuned… This inaugural three-month circle will give us valuable insights based on what we observe and on the feedback you’ll give us at the end of the three months. We’ll use this information to improve and expand future circles.
- Are payments refundable? All sales are final whether or not you attend all the meetings, need to join us late or leave early on a given day or every time we meet, or decide to discontinue before the three months is over.